Image Credit: Flickr
Link building is the process of building inbound links (also known as incoming links or backlinks) to your website. And post Google Panda and Penguin Updates it’s all about increasing the quality and not the quantity of backlinks.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Link Building Strategies are changing after every Google Algorithmic updates. For instance, post Google Penguin, SEOs were focusing on Guest Blogging and then Google’s Matt Cutts wrote on his personal blog that Guest Blogging is done.
I published a blog post about the various link building strategies after the first Google Penguin update. But as Google began to push more algorithmic updates everything SEO began to change and now it’s all about user experience. So the new definition of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) could be User Experience Optimization (UXO).
75+ Resources, Tips, Strategies & Tools
So here are over 71 link building resources, tips, strategies, and tools to supercharge your Search Engine Optimization (SEO) efforts. It’s your ultimate guide to link building covering almost all aspects of link building – Basics, Tips, Content Marketing, E-mail Outreach, Guest Blogging, Case Studies, and Strategies.
Link Building Guides
If you’re looking for a one-stop link building guide then I recommend the following resources. It’s very useful as it covers almost all the aspects of link building in an organized way.
Link Building Strategies
If you’re looking for link building ideas and strategies then look no further as the following resources have listed almost all the link building tactics that exist today.
Link Building Case Studies
Here I’ve featured some interesting link building case studies and experiments so that you can use the same strategy for your website.
- How To Harvest Backlinks & Traffic From Wikipedia | Matthew Woodward
- Link Building For Boring Industries Or Products | Search Engine Land
- How To Steal Your Competitor’s Links, Rankings & Traffic | Robbie Richards
Random Link Building Articles
As the title suggests, here I’m featuring some random link building articles that I find interesting. It’s a mashup of some link building case studies, thoughts, arguments, and discussions.
- The Hidden Power Of Nofollow Links | Moz
- The Power Of Syndicated Content In Your Content Marketing Efforts | SEJ
Link Building Blogs & Forums
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is changing and so are link building strategies. If you follow a dozen of link building blogs then you’ll learn a new link building tactic everyday. The following blogs and forums will give you the latest link building news, tips, and ideas. So learn from the experts!
- Backlinko – for SEO training & link building strategies.
- Point Blank SEO – for link building courses & tactics.
- Moz – for link building resources.
- Clambr – for email outreach.
- Wordtracker – for random articles.
- Search Engine Roundtable – for link building news and updates.
- Wiep – for random articles.
- Vertical Measures – for random articles.
- Quick Sprout University – for link building videos.
- WebmasterWorld Forum – a link development forum.
- Digital Point Forum – a search engine optimization forum.
Link Building Tools
Here you will find some of the best link building tools that you’ll ever need recommended by several link building experts. You may not need all the listed tools but it’s worth to try all of them so that you’ll know exactly what each tool does for you.
I haven’t included the basic productivity tools like Microsoft Excel, Evernote, Diigo, Rapportive, Boomerang, Feedly, etc. used by experts as they are not direct link building tools. But you can check out Top 25 Google Chrome Productivity Extensions & Top 25 Google Chrome SEO Extensions for the complete list.
- Open Site Explorer (Freemium) – a search engine for links.
- Majestic SEO (Freemium) – shows inbound link and site summary data.
- Ahrefs (Freemium) – a powerful tool for checking links.
- Backlink Watch (Free) – see backlinks to any webpage.
- WebMeUp (Free) – a free backlink analyzer.
- Open Link Profiler (Free) – see the freshest backlinks.
- Link Diagnosis (Free) – for competitor analysis.
- Link Prospector (Freemium) – to uncover the links that will improve your rankings.
- MozBar (Free) – an SEO browser toolbar for Chrome & Firefox.
- MozPro (Premium) – a premium SEO tool.
- Raven Tools (Premium) – another premium SEO tool.
- BuzzStream (Free & Premium) – makes link building simple and easier.
- Wordtracker (Premium) – to find quality link prospects.
- SEMrush (Freemium) – a premium competitor analysis tool.
- Alexa (Freemium) – get quick site metrics of any domain name.
- Link Research Tools (Premium) – a premium SEO tool.
- BuzzSumo (Free) – analyze what content performs best for any topic or competitor.
- Ontolo (Premium) – to improve your content marketing and link building campaigns.
- cognitiveSEO (Premium) – a premium SEO tool.
- ScrapeBox (Premium) – a link harvesting tool.
- Screaming Frog SEO Spider Tool () – a desktop tool to SEO audit your website.
- Market Samurai (Premium) – a premium keyword analysis tool.
- SERP Scraper (Free) – a free desktop link prospecting tool.
- URL Profiler (Premium) – a desktop content and link auditing software.
- SEO SpyGlass (Freemium) – a desktop tool to spy your competition.
- Google Webmaster Tools (Free) – get insights about your pages’ visibility on Google.
- Bing Webmaster Tools (Free) – get insights about your pages’ visibility on Bing.
- Google Analytics (Free) – to analyze your website’s traffic and traffic sources.
- Google AdWords Keyword Planner (Free) – to find great keyword ideas.
Wait, you may also like my: Blogger’s Handbook, Email Marketing Handbook, Internet Marketing Handbook, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Handbook, and Freelance Writer’s Handbook. Just in case if I have missed your favorite link building resources then let me know as a comment below and I’ll be glad to list here.
Happy Link Building! :)
First Published: May 2, 2014; Last Updated: Wednesday, November 19, 2014