Image Credit: Flickr – @maheshone
Here is a list of all my favorite Internet Tools, Software and and Applications. I’ve featured only my personal favorites but you can check out my Web Directory for a more comprehensive list. I’ll make sure that the following list is always up-to-date.
- Google Chrome – It’s my preferred browser because of its intuitive design, password manager, cross-platform syncing, auto-fill forms, apps and extensions.
- Google Chrome Extensions – List of my favorite Google Chrome extensions.
- Google Mail – Gmail is my preferred email service due to its powerful features like labels, filters, search, e-mail forwarding, plus addressing, multiple accounts, etc.
- Mailbox – Mailbox app is the best thing that happened to email after Gmail and it’s my preferred email app for mobile.
- Outlook – It’s my preferred desktop email client – thanks to its iCloud integration.
- Google Apps – To manage custom email addresses.
- Windows Live Admin Center – To manage custom email addresses (but no longer supported by Microsoft – so no new sign ups).
- Skype – For free VoIP calls and cheap phone calls.
- Google Hangouts – Since it’s integrated with Gmail.
- WhatsApp – As an alternative to text messaging – thanks to its read receipts feature.
- Microsoft OneDrive – I love OneDrive because of its rich interface, awesome apps, and tight integration with Windows 8.
- Picasa Web – To archive photos as it’s got a lot of storage.
- Dropbox – I love Dropbox for its simplicity, cross-platform support, and its one-click sharing feature.
- iCloud – I love iCloud for its Contacts, Calendar, Notes, and Reminder.
- OneNote – It’s my preferred planner app – to stay organized.
- Pocket – It’s my preferred read later app.
- Office 365 (Premium) – My favorite office suite.
- Office Online – Office.com is the online version of Microsoft Office suite (yup, it’s free!).
- Google Drive – I like Google Drive for its sharing and collaborative feature.
- iWork – Sometimes – on mobile – it’s more useful than Microsoft Office.
My favorite social networks – to connect, to collaborate, to showcase, to discover, to question, to answer, and to share.
Social Media Tools
- IFTTT – To connect different apps.
- Buffer – It’s the easiest way to share to all our social networks in one-click.
- TweetDeck – My favorite Twitter client.
- Flickr – My favorite photo sharing service.
- Imgur – It’s the best place to find Internet memes.
- Photosynth – It’s an awesome app by Microsoft that creates 3D images from 2D photos.
- Photobucket – I use Photobucket primarily when I want to embed images in a forum.
- Adobe Photoshop – My preferred photo editing application.
- Google+ Photo Editor – I like Google+ Photo Editor for its auto enhancement feature.
- Awesome Screenshot – It’s the best screen capture extension for Google Chrome.
- PicMonkey – It’s a free online photo editing that’s perfect for quick touch ups.
- Word – My preferred word processor application.
- Google Docs – I like Docs because of its real-time collaboration and editing feature.
- Pages for iCloud – It’s my favorite word processor app on mobile as it shows word count.
Music / Movies
- iTunes – I love iTunes because it acts as a hub between a PC and the iOS ecosystem.
- Microsoft Money Plus – My favorite personal finance management software.
- Yahoo Finance Portfolios – My preferred portfolio manager.
- PayPal – My preferred payment method.
Utilities / Other Tools
- InstaCalc – It’s a real-time shareable online calculator.
- Excel – My favorite spreadsheet application.
- Pastebin – To anonymously share text online.
- Hide My Ass – A free proxy server to surf the web anonymously.
- Down For Everyone Or Just Me – To check if the website is down or not.
- Screenr – A web-based screen recorder.
- Screenfly – To test websites at different screen resolutions.
- FileZilla – It’s my favorite FTP client.
- uTorrent – My favorite BitTorrent client.
- TeamViewer – It’s my preferred remote control/remote access software.
- eFax – For free internet fax.
- Bitly – It’s my favorite URL shortening service.
- LastPass – A free password manager.
- Google Forms – An easy to use tool to create web forms, surveys, quiz, plan events, etc.
- Google Bookmarks – A free online bookmarking service by Google.
- Eleven 2 – For shared web hosting ($59.40/year).
- HostGator – For reseller web hosting ($299.40/year).
- Digital Ocean – For VPS web hosting ($5/month).
- Google PageSpeed Service – Google PageSpeed Service fetches content from our servers and delivers pages to the users from the Google cloud after optimization.
- Photon by WordPress – It’s a free image acceleration service by WordPress.com.
- WordPress – My preferred Content Management System (CMS) as it can be customized the way we want.
- Disqus – To manage the comments.
- Contact Form 7 – It’s my favorite contact form plugin.
- Digg Digg – It adds floating social sharing buttons on the sidebar.
- Disqus Comment System – It’s the best comment system for WordPress.
- HelloBar (Freemium) – It adds a call-to-action button at the top of the blog.
- Simple Social Icons – To show beautiful social icons on the sidebar.
- W3 Total Cache – It’s the best performance optimization plugin for WordPress.
- WordPress SEO – It’s the best SEO plugin for WordPress.
- WPtouch – It makes the blog mobile friendly in few seconds.
- WordPress Related Posts – It’s my preferred “Related Posts” plugin for WordPress as it uses “tags” to suggest related posts.
- StudioPress (Premium) – Genesis by StudioPress is my preferred WordPress framework and I also love their professionally designed WordPress skins.
- Themeforest (Premium) – It’s perhaps the largest marketplace for premium website templates (HTML5, WordPress, PSD, Tumblr, etc.).
- WordPress (Free) – It’s the largest directory of free WordPress themes.
- Bing Webmaster Tools – To view our website’s visibility on Bing search.
- Google Webmaster Tools – To view our website’s visibility on Google search.
- Microsoft Expression Web 4 (Free) – My favorite HTML editor.
- Windows Live Writer (Free) – My favorite desktop blog-publishing application.
My favorite tools to analyze the performance of a webpage. They also suggests ways to make the pages faster.
My favorite Internet marketing tools – for web analytics, competitor analysis, keyword research.
- Google Analytics (Free)
- Open Site Explorer (Freemium)
- Ahrefs (Freemium)
- Majestic SEO (Freemium)
- SEMrush (Freemium)
- Alexa (Freemium)
- AdWords Keyword Planner (Free)
- Bing Ads – To buy pay-per-click ads on the Yahoo Bing Network.
- BuySellAds – To buy banner ads on other websites and blogs.
- DoubleClick – To manage website ad inventory.
- Facebook Ads – To buy Facebook ad inventory.
- Google AdWords – To buy pay-per-click ads on Google and their display network.
- Elance – To outsource almost anything.
- Fiverr – To outsource micro-jobs.
- 99designs – To outsource design stuff.
*Still thinking about what’s left here*
First Published: May 12, 2014; Last Updated: Tuesday, May 20, 2014